Home

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Special Guest Blogger Greg Howard!


I have been friends with Bruce and Pam for over 10 years now and their ministry has opened a whole world for me. The first trip I took was to the Philippines on an Oak Hill trip in 2001. Changed my life forever! I committed to take my children while on that trip. My trip to Guatemala this year was step one in taking my oldest son Thomas. He shortly thereafter surrender into full time ministry! One down- two to go!!! (I have 3 boys) I have also been to Russia and Romania with MANNA.


Q- How did you hear about the trip and make the decision to go?

A- My wife and I help with the youth department at Oak Hill Church (Somerset, Kentucky). We took 18 teenagers on the trip ... as previously stated, missions is in my blood and I wanted to take my son to experience it. My goal on the trip was to see each of the kids on the trip to "get it". They did!

Q- What were the main differences that you noticed between Guatemala and the US?

A- 3 or 4 of the kids said it best, they looked at me and said, "I'm spoiled"; I replied, "Yes we are".

Q- What did you do on the trip?

A- We were able to visit several different feeding centers and orphanages. We also did some construction work at the Manna house in Guatemala City. We traveled with the Kinmans (love that family!) ... Andrew Even was absolutely awesome! He is the man when it comes to sharing the culture! Antigua is awesome!!!

Q- What was your favorite memory?

A- My favorite memory is a bit selfish, but I remember the moment God truly got into my sons heart. I saw it in his eyes when we were playing soccer in the streets with the kids. He had accepted Christ several years earlier ... but that was the first time I got to see my son see Him without the distractions of life.

Q- What would you say to someone who is considering going on a missions trip with MANNA?

A- I have made it my mission around church to convince folks to experience missions ... I always tell them, "missions is about people and getting to understand other cultures and how the Lord works regardless where in the world you are is absolutely awesome"... I finish with, "Give Him a week. Give Him a full week without the distractions of life, open your heart totally and I will promise more blessings you have ever experienced. He will overwhelm you! You will never be the same...The Lord gave his life, give Him a week."

Q- What is the food and culture like?

A- I am addicted to watching people and different cultures. It's an absolute joy to see how they interact with each other and with us. We had a good selection of different foods from home cooked meals to McDonalds. The people were very kind, but as any culture everybody has different personalities. In many ways, we were at home with a low socioeconomic and Spanish speaking group of people. The culture was beautiful. They have not been tainted by the every day conveniences such as TV and even cars ... like going back in time. Beautiful.

Q- Is there anything else that you would like to say? 

A- Below is a link to a youtube video you should watch. Josh Stoneman put it together for the group. I cannot watch it without crying, even today.






Missions is simply what we are called to do ... I absolutely love it! 
In Christ, Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment